Thursday, December 3, 2009

a message from summer intern: sejal shah

submitted by Sejal Shah, who interned for One Mango Tree during summer 2009

One Mango Tree Readers! My name is Sejal Shah and I am a senior in high school. I participate in school activities, but still keep my grades at an above average level. I enjoy going to the beach with my friends, and exploring new things to do every day. When I was given the opportunity to intern for One Mango Tree, I took full advantage of it. I worked with Halle, an amazing organizer, and flew out to Uganda only months after making my decision. Spending four weeks in Gulu has to be the most fun I have ever had in my life. I met people that I will never forget and enjoyed experiences that I only could in Gulu. I worked with the tailors of One Mango Tree every day, seeing them at work, learning about their lives and hardships, teaching them basic inventory and computer skills, and even going to their homes for traditional lunches and watching dances. I got to hang out with the women and form relationships with them. Throughout my trip, we would call each other on weekends to see how we were doing. Watching these women at work was inspiring for me, and a life changing experience. After living a month in Gulu, I learned the most valuable lesson; life should not be taken for granted. I admire these women, and all the people of Gulu, with all my heart. I know for a fact that I will be back working with One Mango Tree soon in my future, because of the amazing experience I had the first time.

Interested in volunteering opportunities with One Mango Tree? Send an email to info@onemangotree.com.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails